Like so many in Canada and around the world, we mourn the death of George Floyd and others at the hands of police, and we condemn the violence and systemic racism faced by Black, Indigenous and other people of colour in Canada.
For 100 years, Scholastic has worked toward a more just and equitable world for students and families. Today, we renew that commitment. As we move forward, we are guided by the words of the Scholastic Credo:
We believe in:
- The worth and dignity of each individual
- Respect for the diverse groups in our multicultural society
- Representative government and even-handed justice that maintains equality of rights for all people
- Cooperation and understanding among all people for the peace of the world
- The basic freedoms of all individuals – we oppose discrimination of any kind on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation or identity, age, or national origin
We stand in solidarity with Black Lives Matter, and re-dedicate ourselves to this mission in a world that needs boldness, compassion and inclusion now more than ever.